Thursday, November 6, 2014

Smell-how does it affect your day?

As I type, I smell the acid of fresh ground coffee. Sharp and skunky, it fills my nostrils and wakes me up.

I know once I get to work, the smell will change. Walking into the office I share with six guys, the most noticeable smell is body odor. It wafts from the far right corner of the room, settling somewhere in the middle by my desk.
The smell is J. An obnoxiously privileged white guy, he gets under my skin. The fact that he refuses to bathe or wash his hair regularly just makes me angrier. The smell permeates our shared office and grosses all of out.
Since he started working there, we no longer eat at our desks. His odor nauseates us and taints the taste of our food. Everyone has started wearing cologne to try to mask the odor and to keep it from causing us to stink.

Due to the extreme political correctness at my place of employment, we are not supposed to say a word about it to him.
We brought in a fan to try to eradicate the odor, but he got upset because he doesn't believe in 'artificially blown air'.
We cannot use air fresheners(or disinfect our desks) because he is offended by chemicals.
We cannot prop open the door to let the office air out because he thinks it feels 'oppressive' to work with the door open.

I never knew another persons smell could bother me so much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sounds heinous! Can HR get involved?