Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tomatoes in the morning

So this summer I've been co-gardening with a good friend of mine.
She did all of the early summer work with the knowledge that I would be taking care of the garden through most of July and August when she was out of town.


The other day I was coming home from my morning walk and when i checked on our little plots, I realized that TWO of the tomatoes had turned red overnight!
They've been green for what seemed like forever, so this bright blush of color was unexpected and exhilarating.

I took a picture with my fancy new phone and emailed it to her.
She emailed back and informed me that the tomatoes on her porch had also turned red overnight so that i should pick these and use them.

I picked them.
I walked home, cradling them in my arms.
I sat on the porch and looked at them for a while. And thought about how a ten cent package of seed, plus hours of labor, had yielded this triumphant moment.

WE GREW TOMATOES!!!

I went inside and started the percolator, listening to the coffee drip.
I toasted an english muffin and spread it with cream cheese.
I took out my favorite knife and sliced a thick slice of fresh warm tomato.
I cooked an egg over medium.
I slid the egg and the tomato onto the english muffin, poured myself a cup of coffee, and took it all outside.

I sat down, took a sip, then a bite.
And found bliss.

And thought about the meaning of life, and how the greatest pleasures I've found have always been the simplest ones.

Sitting on my porch laughing with friends. Walking through the park and watching the squirrels chase each other up the trees. Eating bread fresh out of the oven.

And I thought about how lucky I am to have all of these things in my life.

No comments: