Sunday, August 30, 2009

House Mouse

A Haiku:

I am very sad
My house has a little mouse
the cat won't kill it


So. There is a mouse in my house.
A baby mouse, but still a mouse.

We discovered it Saturday afternoon, while Anna and I were sitting on the couch discussing Life.
We heard a noise. We saw The Beast running after something.
I thought the cat was being silly. Anna immediately recognized what was happening.
I screamed and jumped up on the couch. Anna(the brave one)went to investigate.

She caught it. She held it in her mouth.
(I'm talking about The Beast. Anna isn't really the type to catch small animals in her mouth.)
She carried it around. She batted it around a while.

Then she LET IT GO. And didn't chase it.
It ran into the bedroom. I screamed even more hysterically.
Anna got the broom and went into the bedroom to try to capture it. It ran under the bed.
I jumped on top of the bed and screamed. Anna kept saying,"I can't catch it with you screaming in my ear!".
I calmed down. (Not really)

Anna cleared everything off the floor(sewing machine, fabric box) and using the broom managed to get the mouse back into the dining room.

Then she built a barrier around my door so that it couldn't get back into the bedroom.
(Now THAT is a good friend.)

The Beast caught it again. Carried it around a few minutes, then let it go.

Ten minutes later, she repeated the pattern.

After watching this several more times, Anna and I decided that either The Beast had no intention of killing it or the cat and the mouse were actually in a consensual S/M relationship and they were waiting for us to leave so that they could get to the good stuff.

We discussed ways to get rid of the mouse. I got hysterical again.

Anna offered to stay longer if I didn't feel as if I could handle being alone in the house with the mouse.

Being a mature woman of 31, I stated that I was sure I could handle it.

She left, and I immediately left as well.
Went to walgreens and bought some supersonic pest repellers!(TM)

Anna swore up and down they would make the mouse go away.
I plugged them in. I went to meet a new girl for a drink.
Came home drunk(somewhat embarrassingly so) and immediately passed out.

When I woke up this morning, I assumed that the supersonic pest repellers!(TM) would have caused the mouse to magically disappear overnight.

Not so.

It ran across the kitchen while I was making scrambled tofu.

I screamed and ran.
(Thankfully I had the foresight to wear thigh high wool socks with my sexy nightgown in the event that a mouse would still be in the house)

I ran back into the bedroom, frantically got dressed, and went to meet my housesittees for lunch.


And haven't been back since.

Thank goodness I'm housesitting this week....hopefully the mouse will be gone by Friday when I go back home.

No comments: