Saturday, August 1, 2009

Its that time.

I leave for Fest in five hours.
I'm so excited I can barely sit still long enough to write this blog post....

Last year's fest was rough, to put it mildly. Lots of drama caused by other people, lots of sadness caused by several festies getting injured on the way there, lots of sitting around crying and smoking until my lungs hurt.
The fest energy was off, and it affected all of us.

Nobody had a good fest last year. Nobody. If they say they did, they're lying or crazy.

When we pulled out of the parking lot last year, I looked behind me and thought, "Well, this is it. I am NEVER coming back".

Then I started talking to other festies and realized I wasn't the only one who had a bad Fest.

We were all collectively miserable.

And I started thinking about my approach to fest, and how it changes my time there.

My virgin year I didn't know what to expect, and everything was so fresh and new and it overwhelmed me. I ended up in The Womb(forgot to drink enough water) and vowed that I would come back every year afterwards.

My second year I came with the hopes of meeting some fantastic women, and I did.

My third year was my best year ever. I went with no expectations other than having a good time. And I did.

Last year I didn't know what to expect.
I anticipated drama from a disgruntled and insecure Festie, and I got it.
I expected to figure out where my life was going(I had just quit a horrendous job) and I did after a lot of crying, talking, and stress.

This year I'm trying the nothing approach.
No expectations, no hopes, no dreams.
Just going to go and enjoy the ride.

My plan this year is that I have no plan.

I'll let you know how it works out.

No comments: