Friday, November 1, 2013

Travel

I spent five years of my life in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, only leaving the tiny town to visit my parents three times. 
Before that, though...I traveled everywhere. I took the train on 3 AM trips to Chicago, drove to protests in Washington D. C. and Alabama, and had spontaneous road trips to visit friends around the country just because I could. 
All of that changed when I started dating C. She liked our small town and felt no need to leave. When we left our apartment, even to go to the grocery store she got visibly nervous, preferring to spend all of her free time smoking weed with friends. 
Several times I would plan small getaways to nearby towns, renting a room at a bed and breakfast and making plans to meet up with friends. I never got to go. She always talked me out of it at the last minute. 
I visited my parents a few times those years but she always refused to go with me. After a while, I stopped going too, and resigned myself to spending the rest of my life in that town. 

The day I finally took control of my life and left her I drove for hours, going further than I had in years. I haven't been back there since. 

3 comments:

Maxine Dangerous said...

Nice!

nefarious said...

So glad you are now free to move about the country. :)

Phoenix said...

Me too. I've never felt so free as I did that day.